Man reunites with dog 4 months after home explosion left him in a coma

February 12, 2021

A reunion filled with slobbery kisses.

A dog and his unnamed owner had a happy reunion following a four-month long separation.

Barak and his owner were split up after an explosion in Baltimore this past October that wrecked the house they lived in and left the man with “life-threatening burns,” according to a statement from BARCS Animal Shelter, per PEOPLE.

"It was by a miracle that they narrowly survived the disaster, which resulted in other fatalities," the shelter noted in the post.

BARCS gave Barak emergency shelter, while his dad, who kept saying that he wanted his dog to be saved and reunited with him, was taken to the hospital and “put into an induced coma for life-threatening burns."

“Up until recently, guaranteeing a month-long hold or longer — even for an emergency — wasn't always easy or even possible. BARCS is an open admission shelter and the looming threat of running out of kennel space has always plagued our organization,” they said after learning his owner would be hospitalized for at least a month.

However, since more people have been fostering animals amid the COVID-19 pandemic, there was enough free space to allow Barak a long-term stay.

"Barak wasn't a candidate for foster, but at the shelter, he had a daily plan of long walks, playgroup romps, in-kennel enrichment, training sessions, and cuddle time thanks to our dedicated volunteers and staff,” they noted.

Once Barak’s dad was released from the hospital, he needed to find a new home that was dog-friendly before he could reunite with his companion.

The shelter remained supportive throughout this time and “stayed in contact with Barak's dad frequently as he put the pieces of his life back together, all the while facing the daily heartbreak of missing his best friend."

"We assured him that, no matter what, Barak would stay at BARCS until they could be reunited,” they added.

Eventually, the owner was successful in securing a dog-friendly home in January and was able to reunite with his four-legged pooch.

"He hugged and kissed his very best buddy, with all those around him watching in tears,” the shelter said.

“Keeping this family together was worth the resources and worth the wait," they added of taking care of a very “special shelter resident.”

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram